ACT Math Section - 60 minutes, 60 questions
*Measures skills up through 11th grade*
- Answer the easy questions first! If the first question stumps you, scan the whole test and answer the ones you know, then go back and tackle the hard ones.
- On the ACT, the longer a problem is and the more complicated it looks, the simpler (if any) calculations there are. Don’t get discouraged or frustrated by lots of words.
- There is no formula sheet –know your formulas or program them into your calculator.
- Eliminate wrong answer choices first, even if you can’t get to the final answer (if you can eliminate 4, choose the 5th answer and move on).
- ANSWER EVERY QUESTION! Never leave a question unanswered!
- Use your booklet for scrap paper – the only part the graders will see is your answer sheet.
- Beware of using your calculator – the test makers will bank on you making an error in your calculations, so make sure you’re entering your data correctly and in the right order!
- On questions you’re asked to give a number, start with the middle number first. If it’s too low, go to the answer below it and so forth
Pre-Algebra/Elementary Algebra—40% of your score
Intermediate Algebra/Coordinate Geometry—30% of your score
Plane Geometry/Trigonometry—30% of your score